So it has been a week since I’ve announced the need for a new plan, so how have things been going you may wonder…
Well, my husband’s grandma died, my daughter turned two and now has a cold,…. (2015, quit being so mean).
Despite a crazy week, I have definitely taken strides to get my act together. I must have misled people for all the worried comments thinking I was going to take a moment simply thinking about acting rather than acting and actively experimenting with things all month long to try to find a good plan to settle into.
So here is what I’ve been up to.
- I made an appointment with a nearby obesity and weight management clinic. While I’ve been dealing with the mental, I’ve always just done general practice medicine and perhaps it is time just to make sure all the necessary labs and things are in a row. This doesn’t mean I’m going to go on phen-phen or have weight loss surgery next week, but I’m going to add some more professionals to my team.
- I saw my therapist and had a long conversation about my struggles with my current weight and body image. She is on board with my trying to lose weight while continuing our Binge Eating treatment.
- I saw my psychiatrist and we made a few tweaks to things. More importantly he listened to what was going on and what might be some good steps for us and even gave me a weight management referral that he often works with.
- I made chili and cornbread from scratch (normally Mr. Goat does most of the cooking) and ate the leftovers for several of my late work night dinners. While perhaps not the most healthy meal ever it beat driving thru on the way home!
- I’ve started making better choices at meals again. I’m being sure to have a veggie at lunch and dinner every meal. I’m not snacking much and if I do I have something with some carbs and protein. I’ve avoided the majority of my kids Halloween candy.
- I’ve only had two pieces total of my daughter’s birthday cake – for me this major is progress. I don’t feel like I need any more either.
- I’m wearing my fitbit and taking a few more laps around the office each day. I always do better on steps on the weekend when I am running around with the kids than when I am at the office in the week so adding extra steps where I can during the week helps.
- I’ve been researching keto and whole30 more fully as I wonder if they may be a good fit for me. I have not started tracking my food yet because honestly I am a bit afraid. Nor have I stepped on the scale for the same reason, but I see those things coming.
I am by no means perfect. No doubt you can suggest lots more that I should be doing. I can suggest lots more things I should be doing, but guilt and shame are easy things to come by and I’m not trying to bring those emotions up. Rather I am focusing on the progress that I did make this week, and I have made progress.
When you are depressed even calling your doctor can take a day or more of finding the energy and courage to call. To have a list like this says that I’m more well than I give myself credit for. If it doesn’t seem like a lot to you then feel grateful that you don’t understand where I am coming from.
So forward I go. Allons-y