Slow progress is still progress, right?

It’s been 4 weeks since I wrote a post admitting what has become my reality, that I had allowed my weight to creep back up to 216lbs. I wrote that post and hit publish. In the days after I published that post, I had good intentions. Day after after day continued to start with good intentions. But despite those good intentions, I caved to excuse after excuse.

And then I got back our family photos. As I took a good hard look in the mirror, I realized I can’t do this to myself. I cannot allow myself to be unhealthy. For the sake of my family, and for my own sake, I need to be healthy. I don’t care about the size of my clothes, I am not trying to be skinny. But healthy.

I’m still waking up with good intentions. But when those excuses come up, when a coworker offers cheesecake, or when I have the choice to eat greasy pizza, I fight hard to make a healthier choice. Slowly building back up strength to not give into the excuses. I am still struggling to make it to the gym (okay, let’s be honest, I haven’t gone back since I woke up that one time at 4:30am) but I have been focusing a lot on my eating. And slowly…. very slowly, the scale is responding.

unnamed-2

That’s a 4lb loss. And I’ll take it. Especially given the fact that there were two weekends where we had visitors in from Minneapolis. This past weekend, my friend Cindy came to visit. On Saturday, we went on a boat cruise along the Milwaukee River into the bay of Lake Michigan with another friend here in Milwaukee. It was cold but interesting to hear about the historical side of Milwaukee. unnamed

Work is crazy hectic. And I’m pretty sure now that I’m a mom, life at home is not going to get any less hectic. So my goal will be to continue to figure out how to make progress, as slow as that progress may be.Jen-white-1-300x106

Comments

1. Congrats on the loss. Yes – progress is still progress. Thanks for reminding me.

2. One day at a time! You did it before, you will do it again. Thank you for your honesty and inspiration.

3. 4lbs absolutely is progress! Keep up the good, but hard, work Jen 🙂

4. You can do this! I guess that means I can too! Your honesty and sweet vulnerability is a breath of fresh air. Many relate and are with you in the journey to health. You can do this!

5. YES YES YES
    Slow is still forward.
    Im chanting that ish in my head these days.
    A lot lot.

6. Yes it’s progress! I keep telling myself not to step on the scale are make sure that I fill out my 3 cups or more of vegetables chart. I think I might start logging my exercise so I’m not worrying about the scale but showing my effort instead because the charts let me see my improvements towards being healthier. Hopefully one day I will get to a point where I won’t want to chart because I do without forcing myself. Keep up the good work!

7. Progress, even if it is slow, is very definitely still progress. Keep going gal, and know that lots of people are rooting for you.

8. Jen I feel your pain. Weight should be like money, once you lose it, it’s gone. Nope it is a battle that never ends. I have read your blog for many years and really missed you when you quit blogging. Don’t be hard on yourself, you have experienced many major stresses the last couple of years: baby, new job, and a move to another city. These life changes take a toll and it is hard to manage it all. I know that you are aware of Whole30 and would really encourage you to give it a try. A lot of people think of it as being too restrictive, but in a way it is very comforting to know what is ok and what is not. There is no debating with yourself over just a bite of something that is not on the list. And it is only 30 days, not a lifetime. Whatever you do I am sure it will be right for you….pat yourself on the back and don’t be hard on yourself…..you are blessed with many people that love you.

• Jen, a priorfatgirl says:

I keep thinking of doing whole30 because it really resets eating but man, is it possible to do with an 8mo old? I’m literally rolling my eyes at myself. T

9. Great things come from small beginning! Congratulations on your weight loss! 😀

10. Hi, jen,
    Nice Article! Congratulations on your weight loss! 😉

11. Jen!

I love reading your posts! I’m a bit of a writer myself and at my heaviest…could I possibly join as a (future) priorfatgirl blogger?

• Dawn McGurn says:

Pro Tip: speaking about yourself in the third person (self-description blurb on your business website)…is a no. You’re a writer…why do you want the website you ostensibly use to attract clients to sound as if it were written by someone else?

• Jen, a priorfatgirl says:

When are you going to stop reading? For almost two years now, you’ve left rude comments while probably convincing yourself you are being blunt, direct, honest, or calling it what it is. Sometimes you are Dawn McGurn, other times you post as Betty is Back, Michele Mercurio, Ellen Griswald or Diane. At one point, you actually stated you were done reading and I was thankful. But yet you keep coming back. Why? What value does commenting here bring to you? Please find something more valuable to do with your time than read and comment on my blog.

• Bunny Powers says:

Thanks Jen! Let me know if your site could use another voice. xo

• Jen, a priorfatgirl says:

No worries! At this point, I’m going to hold off because I’m not sure what is in the blogs future but will let you know if anything changes!

12. I found your blog three years ago around the time I was starting my own healthiness journey, and I found you so helpful and inspiring!
    I’ve found myself in somewhat the same boat as you, under different circumstances. But giving in to excuse after excuse and not making healthy choices, and ending up almost right back to where I started. It’s really hard. I will be excited to follow along your journey as I’m on my own! I am glad you are blogging again!

13. So glad you are back. I so enjoyed sharing your journey before and look forward to all of the new and exciting things going on with you! Thanks for all of your hard work!

14. Hi Jen!
    I am very late to the welcome back party, but I’ve read all your posts upon your return and it does my heart good to see you back.

It’s amazing to me how our journeys have so much in common, though we are very different people. (You’re young and married with a new child, and I’m older, married with 2/3 of mine out of the home — okay they are twins, so it’s more like 1/2 of the kids where time is concerned..lol) 🙂

When your mother passed away I was just beginning blogging and my weight loss journey and my heart broke for you. I could only imagine your pain. Then my mother passed away suddenly, after I’d lost 70 pounds, and I began to truly understand what you’ve been through.

In the 2 1/2 years since my mom died I’ve been through some major life changes, some planned and some not, and in the process gained back 35 pounds. I decided I need some accountability and joined Weight Watchers with meetings, which I haven’t done in about 15 years.

Finally, in the last month I’ve come to feel like the “new me” I was back when I was losing weight before. It’s taken a long time and has required I have much grace with myself. I completely understand your grief of having to work on your health again, and trying to fit that in your new lifestyle of wife and mother makes it all the more difficult.

But let me encourage you, it’s nothing new to you to hear… just take it one day, one decision at a time. Every little step in the direction of better health absolutely is progress and something you can be proud of. No one is asking you to be a super-dieter, working mother and wife. You only know you’ll feel better when you can gain better control of your health and that’s all that matters.

I’ve always cheered you on and will continue to do so. I know you have it in you to succeed and now you know, as always has been the case, you are not alone in this struggle. ((hug))

• Leah, your comment was so endearing…it’s comments like yours that remind me why I read comments even tho occasionally they aren’t so kind. Your positivity seems very genuine and supportive, not just for Jen but for the entire PFG community. Thank you 🙂

• Jen, a priorfatgirl says:

Thank you so much, Leah – I really appreciate you sharing this. Also, I really appreciate you calling me “young,” HA!!!

15. Inspiring and motivational, great post!